Do to others as you would have them do to you.
Luke 6:31

News

The Messenger Tree

 

Please click here for a column from our deacon Stan Knick.

 

Trinity Newsletter

 

Please click here for the most recent newsletter.

 

Find Us Online

facebook

Church Activities

History of Trinity Episcopal Church

churchOn June 12, 1912, nine men and women met with the Rt. Rev. Robert Strange (1904-1914) Second Bishop of East Carolina and Archdeacon Noe in the home of Mr. and Mrs. John Q. Beckwith to organize an Episcopal Church in Lumberton. Six of the nine were faithful Episcopalians who had moved to Lumberton, missed their church and wanted to do something about it. The Bishop approved their request; committees were appointed and they named the new mission “Trinity.”

Under the inspired leadership of the Rev. J. L. Moody, the small but determined group began raising the necessary funding to make their vision a reality. Services were held in the homes of the organizers and once a month in the Presbyterian Church. Within two years they had raised the then enormous sum of $2,993. They spent $1,230 for the lot at 1202 North Chestnut Street and $1,699 for the building.

In just three years, their vision became a reality—a small white wooden Gothic-style church was constructed with dark oak furnishings, a reed organ, a seating capacity of 125 and a large pot-bellied stove.

On Palm Sunday, March 28, 1915, the Rt. Rev. Thomas Campbell Darst (1914-1945), Third Bishop of East Carolina, consecrated Trinity of Lumberton as his newest mission. For the next 23 years, Trinity was served by many devoted priests-in charge and faithful lay readers. Among those priests was the Rev. Thomas H. Wright, a future Bishop of the Diocese of East Carolina. During this period of WWI and the depression, membership grew slowly and there were many ups and downs which threatened Trinity’s existence. Mr Beckwith had to call Bishop Darst several times to tell him “you cannot close our church” - and it was never closed.

There was an influx of Episcopalians in the mid 1930’s and, with the spirited leadership of the Rev. B. F. Huske, the church began to show real growth. In 1938, Trinity was admitted to the Diocese as a self-supporting parish. The Rev. Huske served Trinity as priest-in-charge through the fall of 1944.
In the winter of 1945, the vestry decided to have special services during Lent. After several cancellations due to military obligations, a mission was planned for April. The Rev. John H. Bonner, Jr. lead the services which were “very successful and enjoyed by all.” After the last service, Mr. Beckwith traced the history of the church and ended with, “Mr. Bonner, we all would like very much for you to become our Rector.” Mr. Bonner was offered a salary of $225 per month and shortly thereafter became Trinity's first resident rector.

For the next twenty years, Trinity enjoyed a growing membership and entered a period of facility expansion and replacement. The first parish hall was dedicated in 1948, and a rectory built in 1952. In 1956, a building fund was begun to replace the original wooden church building. The old building was razed in 1960 and the new, simplified Gothic-style church was dedicated on January 28, 1961. The beautiful new brick building included a stained glass window and eight light fixtures from the original building. The only changes made since 1961 were made in 1980 to accommodate a wonderful 743 pipe Moller Pipe Organ. The organ was given to Trinity as a memorial to Dr. Allan Gray by the Gray family. 

Next in the building cycle was replacement of the outgrown parish house in 1977. It is now a large multi-purpose facility with classrooms, offices, a great hall and kitchen. Outside the library’s window is our beautifully landscaped columbarium, which was dedicated in early 1991. Just beyond the columbarium on the north side of the church are the Pruett-Bridges memorial garden and common grounds.

During its ninety-five years of existence, Trinity has been known for its warm, caring church family and its community involvement. We give special thanks to those who have gone before us and prepared all that we now enjoy.

 

Rectors of Trinity Parish

church

I The Reverend Bartholomew Fuller Huske 1938-1942
During the war years the parish was served by Lay Readers
II The Revernd John Hare Bonner, Jr. 1946-1950
III The Reverend Henry Tobias Egger 1950-1953
IV The Reverend Robert Judson Snell 1953-1966
V The Reverend Frederic William Reese 1967-1972
VI The Reverend Jamie Garland Teasley, Jr. 1974-1986
VII The Reverend Russell L. Johnson 1988-1991
VIII The Reverend Gary M. Noteboom 1992-2001
IX The Reverend Roger Dale Kappel 2003-2013
X The Reverend Gene Wayman 2013-